The Hamlet platform's will consist of:
- Orientation Portal
- Virtual Library
- Virtual Laboratory
- Didactic Cyberspace
User-students, acceding the Hamlet environment, are received by an Orientation Portal, (an intelligent system based upon neural networks) capable of creating a flexible path, adaptable to the User-Student's competencies in the field of Web Design.
It includes 35 digitised videolessons in the field of Web Design, realised by the most prestigious Italian and foreign academic experts. The videolessons are articulated in 10 didactic modules.
The user accessing the Videoteque can find:
- TV screen with the controls (play, stop, forward, rewind) that allows users to manage the lesson in a customized way
- Synchronized text of the lesson
The "intelligent query" of the system, thanks to the use of artificial intelligence techniques, based upon the use of neural networks, is able to interpret users' requests and to supply targeted and dynamic bibliographical references. In the virtual library, a student can consult bibliographies and sitographies, referred to the subjects treated, thanks to the intelligent query system. The virtual library is constituted by a database composed of 160 Learning Object, codified on the basis of a metadating sheet, articulated in 35 variables, by teachers experts in the Web Design disciplines and an artificial neural network.
In the virtual laboratory users are able to check and enhance knowledge according to a "learning by doing" mode, supported by a Socratic tutoring system. The Virtual Laboratory is accessible in two different operational modalities:
- Individual modality according to which the student/user selects the exercises available, connected to a determined video lesson, carries out and send those to the teacher/tutor for the evaluation.
- Interactive modality according to which the student can carry out an exercise followed in videochat by the expert who observes the exercise carrying out, systematically follows the student and sends feedback on the intermediate processes, the achieved results and the made mistakes.
A true interactive process takes place. User/students are able to activate on - line collaborative and cooperative learning through:
- Face to Face
- Discussion forums
The Videochat tool has been created for this project and is a tool giving the possibility of creating virtual interactive classroom, with a continuous exchange of information among teacher and students, using instruments such as:
- Shared electronic whiteboard
- Textual chat
- Audio chat (using Voice Over IP techniques)
- Document exchange